Why support Free the Slaves on Giving Tuesday? One word: results. We do more than create awareness. We get the job done. Here are 10 ways your support makes an impact:
- Your support spreads freedom: We have liberated thousands of people from slavery and educated hundreds of thousands more to prevent their enslavement. That freedom makes everything possible: education, shelter, health care, nutrition, equality, dignity. Everything starts with freedom.
- Your support empowers women: Most slavery victims are women and girls. Gender-based discrimination and violence, and educational limitations for girls, create extreme vulnerability. We reduce these risks by promoting gender equality and respect for gender rights.
- Your support protects vulnerable children: More than 25 percent of slavery victims are kids. Our child rights strategies help parents and communities safeguard their youngest and most vulnerable members.
- Your support strengthens the movement: Trafficking is a worldwide problem and that will take a global movement to eliminate. Free the Slaves is widely regarded as a movement leader in the U.S. and around the globe.
- Your support creates sustainable freedom: We help survivors with counseling, education, skills training and microcredit so they can remain free after they break free.
- Your support brings traffickers to justice: We trigger the arrest of traffickers. It’s important to rescue people from slavery, but someone else will be enslaved in their place if slaveholders aren’t prosecuted.
- Your support liberates entire communities: We leave no one behind, liberating everyone in the communities we help. We then train villagers how to protect themselves, their families and their neighbors from predatory traffickers. We make communities slavery-free and slavery resistant.
- Your support reduces poverty: People in freedom get paid for their work. Slaves do not. When people break free and start earning money again, they boost their local economy.
- Your support is a smart investment: Imagine putting $150 billion a year into the hands of impoverished and vulnerable people. That’s how much traffickers profit each year. Ending slavery is a great way to boost economic development.
- Your support makes history happen: Early abolitionists successfully outlawed slavery. But they didn’t eradicate it. That’s our generation’s job, to end slavery forever.
I hope you take a moment on Giving Tuesday to make or renew your annual contribution to support the remarkably effective front-line liberation work of Free the Slaves. Thanks!