Today is the most important day of the year for social justice. Millions of people will contribute to organizations that make the world a better place. I’d like to take a quick moment to explain what you can accomplish by donating to Free the Slaves on #GivingTuesday:
- #GivingTuesday gives health. Traffickers don’t care about the health of people they enslave. We ensure that the people we liberate receive proper medical treatment in freedom.
- #GivingTuesday gives nutrition. A nourishing breakfast, hearty lunch and wholesome dinner are distant dreams for people in slavery. They are typically fed just enough to stay alive to work another day. Donating to Free the Slaves is like putting food on the table for some of the world’s most deprived families.
- #GivingTuesday gives education. There are no classrooms at the mines, plantations, fish camps or sweatshops where children are enslaved. Their schooling stops the moment slavery starts. Freedom and schooling change the trajectory of a child’s life.
- #GivingTuesday gives equality. Traffickers thrive when women’s rights aren’t respected, when gender-based violence is ignored, when girls are denied education, and when people of different races, tribes, nationalities or social status face systemic discrimination. Your support of Free the Slaves changes these social dynamics.
- #GivingTuesday gives dignity. Traffickers steal more than a person’s labor and wages, they attack a victim’s basic humanity. The slaveholder’s goal: force people to give up hope. Our message to those in slavery is simple: rewarding work and a fulfilling life are possible once again. By helping the enslaved understand and exercise their rights, we help people regain control and respect.
Your #GivingTuesday donation to Free the Slaves changes the conditions that allow slavery to persist. This systemic change leads to lasting freedom for victims and the vulnerable. I hope you will take a moment on this #GivingTuesday to take a stand against modern slavery.