Readers of the FTS blog already know that 21-30 million people are enslaved worldwide today. But what can you do to end it? The new Free the Slaves Take Action Card includes easy and quick steps to create the social change that will help end slavery. From 10 seconds to 10 days, here are things you can do:
- Use your social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram to encourage at least one person a day to take action against slavery.
- If you suspect trafficking, call the U.S. National Trafficking Resource Center Hotline at 888-3737-888
- Donate to Free the Slaves to help end slavery and unfair employment practices worldwide.
- Contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and tell them to increase funding for the Trafficking in Persons Office of the U.S. State Department to fight slavery on the front lines.
- Contact your mayor and police chief and encourage them to improve services for victims of sex trafficking and to be sure your city treats victims of forced prostitution as survivors and not criminals.
- Volunteer for a local anti-trafficking organization.
- Organize awareness and fundraising day at your school, company, or faith community.
- Host an event to raise funds and awareness. Download our free guide to hosting a fundraising event here.
Download and print these tips. Share them at your school, workplace, faith community, neighborhood, or even at your metro bus stop!
Visit Free the Slaves for videos, links, fact sheets, and resources on how you can get involved in ending slavery. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay in the know. And visit Know the Chain to help keep slavery-tainted goods out of your shopping cart.
We can end slavery if we all work together.