This year marks 15 Years of Fighting for Freedom at Free the Slaves. In that spirit, I’d like to share 15 reasons that you should donate to our organization in this special anniversary year.
- We free slaves. We have liberated more than 10,000 people so far. With your continuing contributions, we will free even more.
- We prevent slavery. We have trained more than 100,000 vulnerable villagershow to protect themselves, their families and their neighbors from predatory traffickers.
- We bring traffickers to justice. We have trained police worldwide, and we have helped them apprehend hundreds of traffickers across the globe.
- We protect children. More than 25 percent of slavery victims are kids. Our child rights strategies help parents and communities safeguard their youngest and most vulnerable members.
- We protect entire communities. We identify specific vulnerabilities that put community members at risk, then help residents overcome those challenges to make their village or neighborhood slavery-free.
- We create sustainable freedom. We help survivors with counseling, education, skills training and microcredit so they can remain free after they break free.
- We create a freedom dividend. People in freedom get paid for their work. Slaves do not. When people break free and start earning money again, they boost their local economy. Everybody benefits.
- We take a holistic approach. Our community-based strategy does more than free slaves. It changes the social, cultural, economic and political conditions that allow slavery to persist.
- You can trust us. Free the Slaves rigorously monitors our projects to ensure we’re getting the job done. More than 75 percent of every dollar goes to programs that fight slavery in the world’s worst trafficking hot spots.
- It takes a movement. Trafficking is a worldwide problem and it will require a global movement to eliminate it. We will be successful if everybody joins together to say: Enough!
- Ending slavery is the right thing to do. It’s morally wrong and it’s against the law. Period.
- Ending slavery is the smart thing to do. Imagine putting $150 billion a year into the hands of impoverished and vulnerable people. That’s how much money traffickers profit each year. Ending slavery is a great investment to address global poverty.
- Your donation makes a difference. Many problems seem to be too big to solve. But our strategy to free entire communities, rather than individuals one at a time, accelerates the spread of freedom.
- You can make history. Early abolitionists successfully outlawed slavery. But they didn’t eradicate it. That’s our generation’s job, to end slavery forever.
- Freedom is the best gift you could ever give. Imagine the impact you can haveon a child or a family’s life with a donation to Free the Slaves.
Our thanks go to the thousands of contributors whose donations have allowed Free the Slaves to make remarkable progress over the past 15 years. With your continuing support, we will be able to continue our vital work to build a world without slavery. In commemoration of our 15th birthday, I hope you will consider making a gift of $15, $150 or even $1,500 if that would be possible.